- Parental involvement and community support should be an intregral part of the educational process.
- Success is determined by individual potential, student commitment to learning and instruction in the appropriate learning style.
- The school climate should foster the desire for lifelong learning.
- Students should develop life skills necessary to become physically fit, socially responsible, and economically independent.
- Developing respectful attitudes toward diversity contributes to a positive learning environment.
Mission Statement: The Akron Elementary School community is committed to preparing every child for each educational transition. We provide a strong academic foundation and guidance in interpersonal and life skills, enabling students to become lifelong learners and responsible, contributing citizens.
PUBLIC NOTIFICATION STATEMENT - It is the policy of the Tippecanoe Valley School Corporation not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability, in its programs or employment policies as required by the Indiana Civil Rights Act (I.C. 22-9.1), Title VI and Title VII (Civil Rights Act of 1964), Title IX (Educational Amendments 1972), the Equal Pay Act of 1973, and Section 504 (Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973). Inquires regarding compliance with Title IX may be directed to the Assistant Superintendent, Tippecanoe Valley School Corporation, 8343 S State Rd 19, Akron, IN - Telephone (574) 353-7741; Inquires regarding compliance with Section 504 may be directed to the Director of Special Services, Burket Education Center, 5095 S 700W, Box 8, Burket, IN - Telephone (574) 491-2555.
2014-2015 TVSC Elementary Student Handbook
2014-2015 Student Class List
2014-2015 Student Supply List
Akron Elementary School was recently named by the Indiana Department of Education as Fulton County's top high-growth school for English/Language Arts. Using new data from the Indiana Growth Model, Akron Elementary School was honored because a large percentage of its students achieved high academic growth in English/Language Arts during the 2009-2010 school year.
According to Indiana State Superintendent of Public Instruction Dr. Tony Bennett, "For the first time ever, we have the ability to do more than just recognize high test scores; the Growth Model allows us to identify schools making the largest gains in student learning. No matter what a child's gifts and limitations - no matter what they know upon entering a classroom - we want to distinguish and praise those educators who meet students where they are and push them to reach their highest academic potential over the course of the school year."
Principal Chrissy Mills and the staff of Akron Elementary School are to be congratulated for being among the state's leaders in helping students achieve high academic growth.
Wednesday, November 26, 2014
• All Grades: Today’s Lunch: Popcorn Chicken, Mixed Veggies, Peaches, Pretzels, and Milk
• Today’s Birthday: Juan Campos
• Thursday and Friday Birthdays: Miguel Negrete, Madeline Smith, Griffin Smith, Kyndra Wright, and Kc Shriver
• Weekend Birthdays: Eric Leadford, Tyler Meadows, and Silvia Montelongo
• ALL GRADES: Thanksgiving Vacation will be on Thursday, November 27th, and Friday, November 28th. TVSC will not be in session. School will resume on Monday, December 1st.
• Market Day orders are due today. Orders can be picked up in the school cafeteria on Tuesday, December 2nd, between 4:30-5:45 p.m.
• Student Council will not be selling notepads this year. We will consider selling them again next year. Please let us know if you have any questions. Miss Reed and Mr. Adams
• 2014-2015 High School Basketball Cheerblock Shirt - $12. Order by today at the high school. Please email Aaron Engbrecht at
if you have any questions (money should be sent to TVHS c/o Aaron Engbrecht).
• The 5th grade boys’ basketball team will play at North Miami on Thursday, December 4th, at 5:00 p.m. Go Akron Flyers!!
• Akron Elementary School is having a clothing and toy drive until December 5th. We are in need of gently used or new clothing (sizes infant through adult), toys, books, puzzles, shoes, etc. These items will be shared with families for the holidays. Thank you for your help.
• BOX TOPS CLIP IT! COUNT IT! SHEET. When you have filled your sheet, take it to computer lab class and Mrs. Kindig will help you graph the information. Keep bringing those Box Tops in!
• TIPPECANOE VALLEY ELEMENTARY WRESTLING for KG – 5th Grade: This is a FREE program. There will be practices two evenings a week from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. beginning at TVHS in the Auxiliary Gym and moving to the commons at TVMS in February. There will be some evening meets with area schools in January and February. The program will run from December 1 through February 27. On Friday, February 27, we will host a small friendship tournament with wrestlers from area elementary schools to conclude our program. Order forms for team apparel will be available the first week of practice. If you are interested in joining or want more information contact head coach Scott Smith at 574-353-7031 ext. 2310 or
"To view the Akron Parent Support Group web page, please go to Classroom Connect, then click Class Web Pages. Once you get to the class web pages, select Parent Group to find out information that the Akron Parent Support Group will be sponsoring or any new information that will be posted. At this web page you will also find pictures from events that have taken place so far this year by the Akron Parent Support Group."