- Parental involvement and community support should be an intregral part of the educational process.
- Success is determined by individual potential, student commitment to learning and instruction in the appropriate learning style.
- The school climate should foster the desire for lifelong learning.
- Students should develop life skills necessary to become physically fit, socially responsible, and economically independent.
- Developing respectful attitudes toward diversity contributes to a positive learning environment.
Mission Statement: The Akron Elementary School community is committed to preparing every child for each educational transition. We provide a strong academic foundation and guidance in interpersonal and life skills, enabling students to become lifelong learners and responsible, contributing citizens.
PUBLIC NOTIFICATION STATEMENT - It is the policy of the Tippecanoe Valley School Corporation not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability, in its programs or employment policies as required by the Indiana Civil Rights Act (I.C. 22-9.1), Title VI and Title VII (Civil Rights Act of 1964), Title IX (Educational Amendments 1972), the Equal Pay Act of 1973, and Section 504 (Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973). Inquires regarding compliance with Title IX may be directed to the Assistant Superintendent, Tippecanoe Valley School Corporation, 8343 S State Rd 19, Akron, IN - Telephone (574) 353-7741; Inquires regarding compliance with Section 504 may be directed to the Director of Special Services, Burket Education Center, 5095 S 700W, Box 8, Burket, IN - Telephone (574) 491-2555.
2013-2014 TVSC Elementary Student Handbook
2013-2014 Student Supply List
2013-2014 Student Class List
Akron Elementary School was recently named by the Indiana Department of Education as Fulton County's top high-growth school for English/Language Arts. Using new data from the Indiana Growth Model, Akron Elementary School was honored because a large percentage of its students achieved high academic growth in English/Language Arts during the 2009-2010 school year.
According to Indiana State Superintendent of Public Instruction Dr. Tony Bennett, "For the first time ever, we have the ability to do more than just recognize high test scores; the Growth Model allows us to identify schools making the largest gains in student learning. No matter what a child's gifts and limitations - no matter what they know upon entering a classroom - we want to distinguish and praise those educators who meet students where they are and push them to reach their highest academic potential over the course of the school year."
Principal Chrissy Mills and the staff of Akron Elementary School are to be congratulated for being among the state's leaders in helping students achieve high academic growth.
Thursday, December 12, 2013
• All Grades: Today’s Lunch: Mucho Nachos, Meat/Cheese, Refried Beans, Pineapple, and Milk
• Today’s Birthday: None
• AKRON PRIDE COUNCIL FOOD DRIVE – As a service project, the Akron Pride Council will sponsor Akron Elementary School’s annual food drive to provide food for needy area families during the Christmas holidays. Students are encouraged to bring in non-perishable items such as boxed or canned goods. Food items may be brought to school anytime from Monday, December 2nd, through Friday, December 13th. Students will place the donated food items in a box in their classroom. This year’s goal is 3,000 items.
• 5th Grade Girls: The girls’ basketball season begins on Tuesday, January 7th, 2014. Your physical form must be turned in before you can practice. Please have your shirt form and money turned in by Friday, December 20th.
• The 5th grade boys’ basketball team plays at TVMS tonight starting at 4:30 p.m.
• The Reading Club will need to wear their t-shirts this Friday!
• This week the Santa Shop will be open to shop. Please remember to bring your money on your assigned day to shop. Check with your teacher for your shopping day. Every item in the Santa Shop costs $2. This event is sponsored by the Akron Parent Support Group.
• 4th and 5th Grade: Math Team tryouts will be next Wednesday the 18th in the Library right after school until 4:30 p.m. If you are interested in trying out, please sign up in the office.
• AKRON ELEMENTARY WEEK sponsored by Tippecanoe Valley High School Athletic Department admission is free for Akron Elementary students the week of December 16th. Students at Akron Elementary may attend any athletic event at TVHS free of charge during the week of December 16th with the attachment at the bottom of the green flyer that was sent home on December 6th. Parents will need to pay. HONOR ROLL FREE ADMISSION (13-14 Winter Sports Season) – Students at TVSC, who has earned all A’s on their report card, may show the report card at the ticket booth for free admission to any athletic event with a paying adult. Report card presented must be from the most recent grading period. BRING A FRIEND TUESDAY (13-14 Winter Sports Season) – Students at TVSC, may bring a friend to any Tuesday night athletic event, and may pay for one admission to the event, a friend will receive free admission that night. This applies to paying gate admission that night at the ticket booth, and does not apply with any athletic passes or season tickets purchased for the sport season.
• Akron Elementary Fit Kids Club Christmas – This Christmas Break we are offering the kids the opportunity to stay active, learn the importance of physical activity and healthy eating, and even try a healthy treat all for free. The club will be December 23rd, 27th, 30th, and January 3rd from 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. If you are interested in attending the fitness club, please have your permission slip turned into the office by Friday, December 13th.
• We are having a clothing and toy drive from now until Thursday, December 12th. Please bring in gently used clothes that don't fit anymore and toys you don't play with. Items can be turned in at the office. Please see Mrs. Miller for questions.
"To view the Akron Parent Support Group web page, please go to Classroom Connect, then click Class Web Pages. Once you get to the class web pages, select Parent Group to find out information that the Akron Parent Support Group will be sponsoring or any new information that will be posted. At this web page you will also find pictures from events that have taken place so far this year by the Akron Parent Support Group."